Unpopular Opinions - Lucy style

Annaleigh

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't like that compilation episode where Lucy and Gale drink a magnum of champagne and talk about their adventures together... I was okay with the clips but their drunk bit made me very uncomfortable.. which is unusual since I find the drunk/drinkin bit VERY funny normally.. but when I watched this last night.. I found it disturbing.. go figure.. maybe I am missing something

I didn't like that compilation episode where Lucy and Gale drink a magnum of champagne and talk about their adventures together... I was okay with the clips but their drunk bit made me very uncomfortable.. which is unusual since I find the drunk/drinkin bit VERY funny normally.. but when I watched this last night.. I found it disturbing.. go figure.. maybe I am missing something

Well, there IS something wrong qabout getting drunk with the boss. Mine even offered me a toot from his Mary Jane one time, talk about weird.

Not sure if this is unpopular...

But I think "Lucy, The Fixer" is the best of Lucy's work in all of HERE'S LUCY and the best thing she did on television after Vivian left.

And I think.. it could have been funnier with an insert of the chandellier moving up and down and then crashing on his head.. I think it was a good routine for the studio audience but should have been "beefed" up for the audience at home with different angles and close ups and such... HOWEVER.. to do that LIVE is AMAZING and Gale is just perfect!!!!! I really think GALE makes Here's Lucy.. I love his comment when they are trying to make him believe that he needs glasses... "You know that dog ran between my legs".. or something like that.. his delivery with that line and facial expression made me roar!

Not sure if this is unpopular...

But I think "Lucy, The Fixer" is the best of Lucy's work in all of HERE'S LUCY and the best thing she did on television after Vivian left.

Lucy, the fixer is classic TV, a total rehash of Laurel and Hardy done by Lucy and Gale. The kitten in the walls was downright stupid but everything else was terrific.

Took me a while to like Lucy The Fixer but I do now! Not my fav though LOL!

I can dig it, i H A T E D it till Brock convinced me to overlook the old fashioned situation and execution and regard it as pros imitating pros. Lucy's so great at everything she does that you forget how effortless she makes it all seem.

Lucy, the fixer is classic TV, a total rehash of Laurel and Hardy done by Lucy and Gale. The kitten in the walls was downright stupid but everything else was terrific.

YOU ARE RIGHT AGAIN!.. That kitten stint was a rotten way to say What's New Pussy Cat.. the whole business should have been cut.. it totally fouled up the execution.. for a lame ass topical reference.. and I really HATE when that happens.. because it just stops the actions cold.. and they KEEP doing it! That really kills me.. it doesn't work sooo let's keep doing it!

:marionstrong: No doubt!

Confession #1: My name is Brock and I like Lucy & The Astronauts. LOL

Confession #2: I don't particularly care for The Big Street.

Re:

#1 I'm glad you're connected with a group that will help you work though this. Remember you've taken that courageous first step by just admitting your affliction!

#2 With a few changes here and there "Big Street" could have been closer to the A picture that would have gotten Lucy as Oscar nomination. I can't say I'm WILD about it, but I do admire Lucy's performance. But like so many otherwise good Lucy outings, one totally unbelievable segment comes close to ruining an otherwise fine product: in this case, that ignoramus doctor's long distance diagnosis of Gloria's death on the dance floor, signified with the resigned head shaking. Hey Doc, she might have just FAINTED.

Re:

#1 I'm glad you're connected with a group that will help you work though this. Remember you've taken that courageous first step by just admitting your affliction!

#2 With a few changes here and there "Big Street" could have been closer to the A picture that would have gotten Lucy as Oscar nomination. I can't say I'm WILD about it, but I do admire Lucy's performance. But like so many otherwise good Lucy outings, one totally unbelievable segment comes close to ruining an otherwise fine product: in this case, that ignoramus doctor's long distance diagnosis of Gloria's death on the dance floor, signified with the resigned head shaking. Hey Doc, she might have just FAINTED.

Agreed, an excellent portrayal!

Ok...here it is....I cant keep this inside any longer...lol

The last episode of I Love Lucy, sends chills down my spine! I wonder why?!?!?!

It's not a favorite, and I always feel it's "anti-climactic" end to a very warm and fun show. I always felt that The first of the hour shows "Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana" , should have been

the last Season Finale show for season 6 of I Love Lucy-but of course the dynamics were different then. im sure no one was even thinking about anything like that, Im not too sure if a season finale was a big deal then either. ANY WAY- Lucy and that statue is fun, but not soo satisfying as the last show.

Confession #1: My name is Brock and I like Lucy & The Astronauts.

And if, in a weak moment you ever feel the overwhelming urge to get out that ViewMaster and start bellowing "Shine On Harvest Moon", you can call me day or night for support.

You see, I've been there. My confession: I like "Lucy and Phil Harris" AND "Lucy and Phil Harris Strike Up the Band".....though I admit the 'multi-cultural' ethnic-specific lyrics to "That's What I Like About the South" make me cringe a little. Whenever HL tried to be current, it usually came off as silly and pretentious at best; offensive at worst. In this case, their nod to diversity contained every stereotype imaginable!

YOU ARE RIGHT AGAIN!.. That kitten stint was a rotten way to say What's New Pussy Cat.. the whole business should have been cut.. it totally fouled up the execution.. for a lame ass topical reference.. and I really HATE when that happens.. because it just stops the actions cold.. and they KEEP doing it! That really kills me.. it doesn't work sooo let's keep doing it!

First of all, Lucy had learned from ILL NOT to do any topical humor, it doesn't work on Golden Girls and it never worked on any of her shows either, damn those writers, like you said, one cheap joke from a lazy writer. Like it was a Bob Hope sketch or something. Just lazy. :lucydisgust:

Re:

But fainting would not have provided a socko ending OR a chance for a terrible character to get her come upppance for a life where she treated everybody like dirt under her beautifully manicured fingernails. This fantasy element was a fixture of Daymon Runyon's work, how about when Bette Davis goes from apple Annie to society matron, only to go back to the apple vendor at the end of Pocketful of Miracles, another famous Runyon yarn?

Ok...here it is....I cant keep this inside any longer...lol

The last episode of I Love Lucy, sends chills down my spine! I wonder why?!?!?!

It's not a favorite, and I always feel it's "anti-climactic" end to a very warm and fun show. I always felt that The first of the hour shows "Lucy Takes a Cruise to Havana" , should have been

the last Season Finale show for season 6 of I Love Lucy-but of course the dynamics were different then. im sure no one was even thinking about anything like that, Im not too sure if a season finale was a big deal then either. ANY WAY- Lucy and that statue is fun, but not soo satisfying as the last show.

True, on all counts, same could be said for the final Lucy Desi comedy hour, but hey, they had no idea what they had accomplished, it was just work to them, not the iconic legendary program it would later become.

Confession #1: My name is Brock and I like Lucy & The Astronauts.

And if, in a weak moment you ever feel the overwhelming urge to get out that ViewMaster and start bellowing "Shine On Harvest Moon", you can call me day or night for support.

You see, I've been there. My confession: I like "Lucy and Phil Harris" AND "Lucy and Phil Harris Strike Up the Band".....though I admit the 'multi-cultural' ethnic-specific lyrics to "That's What I Like About the South" make me cringe a little. Whenever HL tried to be current, it usually came off as silly and pretentious at best; offensive at worst. In this case, their nod to diversity contained every stereotype imaginable!

And all this from a show that used to be banned in the Southern states if it ever featured any black performers, YOU're a collector of TV Guides and you remember that era, or at least reading about it, she and Andy Griffith were popular in the South BECAUSE they never dared to feature what the old fashioned behind the times Southern population could not handle, they were still in the 1880's mentally, they just reached the fifties last week with the election.

Confession: I'm not a huge fan of that second husband of hers. What's his name?

.....Wait that isn't unpopular :gary:

WHO? Never heard of the guy. I was never a fan of Little Lucie's negative swipes at her mom, but i'm finally letting that go, i agree with some people who say LUCIE and LUCY were very much alike and that's what caused some rifts here and there.

WHO? Never heard of the guy. I was never a fan of Little Lucie's negative swipes at her mom, but i'm finally letting that go, i agree with some people who say LUCIE and LUCY were very much alike and that's what caused some rifts here and there.

Yeah, she's a lot better now like in that last interview. I think she even realized how harsh she was in the "Home Movies" documentary. Lots of mothers and daughters fight like that because they are so similar.

Yeah, she's a lot better now like in that last interview. I think she even realized how harsh she was in the "Home Movies" documentary. Lots of mothers and daughters fight like that because they are so similar.

Oh geez, why'd you bring up Home Movies, i tell ya i'm getting over the Lucie comments and you bring up Carole Cook, i'm not over THAT one yet, LOL! Saw Carole today on one of the Lucy shows season six, Lucy's counting money and Carole's being a real beeatch, did not remember that one. Maybe Carole had asked Lucy to play with her and Lucy declined? :marionstrong:

Oh geez, why'd you bring up Home Movies, i tell ya i'm getting over the Lucie comments and you bring up Carole Cook, i'm not over THAT one yet, LOL! Saw Carole today on one of the Lucy shows season six, Lucy's counting money and Carole's being a real beeatch, did not remember that one. Maybe Carole had asked Lucy to play with her and Lucy declined? :marionstrong:

LOL. Well I wasn't just talking about what Carole said, Lucie even had a few zingers in there like "She told me 'I love you' all the time, but I didn't feel very loved." Stuff like that which just made me shake my head. :lucythrill:

LOL. Well I wasn't just talking about what Carole said, Lucie even had a few zingers in there like "She told me 'I love you' all the time, but I didn't feel very loved." Stuff like that which just made me shake my head. :lucythrill:

Yes, and for mom and dad's movies that they made, she added to that and won her one and only Emmy award. Nuff said. Tell ya what, if Yendor promises never to bring up that "LOSER" comment again, i'll play too, will never mention the I NEVER SAW HER PLAYING WITH YOU, with tears streaming down her sad little cheeks, LOL! :lucythrill::luciedesi:

Archived