Unpopular Opinions - Lucy style

Annaleigh

Well, he did volunteer to sign a pre nup, and he did not get most of her estate, it went to her kids, he got the Palm Springs house of course and she always said he had his own money, of course it was her who had paid him that money while he was learning the ropes and then ruining the end of her career, he would get cuts of whatever she was involved in, so that was lots of moolah. Lucie said she had contact with him after her mom died, as he was the grandkids only living grandfather BUT, why the hell did she not take those awards and things of her mom's? Lucy gave to charity her whole life, so her main concern was to leave everything to her kids, even her attorney conformed that. She had started all these trust funds for them. If i recall, gary was surprised the house on Roxbury did not go to him, she had it sold to get the money to her kids, disgusting how he lived there for years until they could sell the damned thing.

Right, he did not get the bulk, actually Gary got comparitively little for someone who was widowed and had been the person's spouse for 28 years, many a person in his shoes ended up with everything.

Here's my "unpopular opinion" - I don't quite get the Gary Morton hate. Yeah, he was fairly untalented, yeah he was not sexy like Desi, yeah he was an awful choice for her producer but there again every decision was Lucy's choice, maybe not quite as traumatic as Sophie's choice despite what some might believe. He gave Lucy what she wanted and craved in a husband, secure, comforting, no surprises or drama and I am happy he made her happy.

I don't think it was so terrible he stayed on at Roxbury, he was her husband not an employee to be given severence pay and shown the door, particularly since he was not going to inherit it. Is there evidence that Lucy expected him to move out once she was dead (not saying there isn't)?

I don't quite see the big deal either in his widow selling some of the stuff he had either, Lucie after all is no stranger to auctions. I really admire Desi Jr. for keeping out of that incident, really it was not much more than some lesser awards and knickknacks hardly her Emmys or anything like that to my knowledge, not worth the stress or ill will.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, he did not get the bulk, actually Gary got comparitively little for someone who was widowed and had been the person's spouse for 28 years, many a person in his shoes ended up with everything.

Here's my "unpopular opinion" - I don't quite get the Gary Morton hate. Yeah, he was fairly untalented, yeah he was not sexy like Desi, yeah he was an awful choice for her producer but there again every decision was Lucy's choice, maybe not quite as traumatic as Sophie's choice despite what some might believe. He gave Lucy what she wanted and craved in a husband, secure, comforting, no surprises or drama and I am happy he made her happy.

I don't think it was so terrible he stayed on at Roxbury, he was her husband not an employee to be given severence pay and shown the door, particularly since he was not going to inherit it. Is there evidence that Lucy expected him to move out once she was dead (not saying there isn't)?

I don't quite see the big deal either in his widow selling some of the stuff he had either, Lucie after all is no stranger to auctions. I really admire Desi Jr. for keeping out of that incident, really it was not much more than some lesser awards and knickknacks hardly her Emmys or anything like that to my knowledge, not worth the stress or ill will.

Oh God, this gary thing just wears me out . . . listen, i'm not unreasonable here, he was a good man, treated his family the way she treated hers, instead of ranting and raving in lunatic booze induced rages like Desi, he was calm, made her laugh, protected her, held her hand and never cheated on her, well, not that it ever made the papers anyway. He never embarressed her with affairs, and she could look at her contemporaries and feel like at least SHE had found a man the second time around who would make her happy till the day she died. Although i'm sure she got more enjoyment from Desi the minute they lived apart and gary wasn't so great to her at the end of her life. Do you know how much it would have cost for anyone to maintain that Roxbury house, and a man alone living there? No, she gave him the Palm Springs one because it was built on a golf course and he played golf every day of his life, even eventually married a golf pro. No, i disagree with the awards, i don't care if it was the Irving Man in a gorilla outfit award for stupid ass situations in comedy shows, they were hers and belonged either in a Museum paying tribute to her or with her kids. PS: Of course he knew better than to ever embarrass her or get caught with a dame, he would have been cut off without a penny and doing stand up in little rooms in front of twelve people for the rest of his life.

Oh and as far as your question goes, WHY THE HATE FOR GARY? Many reasons, the one that shouldn't be was obvious, people loved seeing Lucy and Desi together for so long and they were THE couple of the fifties so when it all came crashing down on them, gary was the replacement and some people just never forgave him for taking Desi's place. Secondly yes, he was a second rate stand up comic, she deserved better, and he certainly was never that much of a help in her career, instead of showcasing and protecting her like Desi did, he just wanted the cheques to keep coming in, never having the taste or know how to help her in any way. Although i guess he did help by relieving some of the pressure on her, work wise, and he handled many of the duties she would have had to do herself had he not been there.

Perhaps that 'husband' was just a 'planted golddigger'!!!! 'get 'er when she's 'down'....ans she was about that time ...whaddyathink? However, he made her happy; guess, that should be the most important thing.

. . . and, she was known to say: 'she never had money, and didn't realize how much she had; and didn't need it,'

. . . basically.... when you are raised poor; then, get money; you are so used to being poor, it really doesn't mean that much to you; if, anything.

He inherited most of her fortune; we will probably NEVER know how much, and look what Suzie probably got, after THAT; which Lucille could have designated as going to charity, after her family was taken care of, of course; not to fourth or fifth wives. . . and CERTAINLY NOT to auction!!

I didn't remember seeing any 'Gary stuff' auctioned off [WAS IT?]; I'm sure he made it clear about HIS belongings after his death....

It makes me mad, to tell you the truth; and a little nauseous.

I never understood why he didn't leave it to the kids or the Lucy-Desi Museum, they did open it 3 years prior to his death. He made one huge boo boo with that. When I saw that auction I was pissed, even if I had all the money in the world I wouldn't have participated in that auction out of all respect for Lucy. She would not have approved of her things being auctioned off by a woman she didn't even know.

But I must say out of all the flaws of Gary I know, hell we all know for certain, he made her laugh and held her hand. A marriage she wanted was exactly that. She just should have kept him out of the behind the scenes/family business.

Desi was a genius when it came to a television production, one of the greatest in history. But just because her first husband was that, didn't mean Gary had it too. I wish she would have realized that.

One more thing, when I see Gary and Lucy acting together I don't see chemistry. Which is odd for a husband and wife. But what do you expect after seeing a chemistry between Desi and Lucy? Only other people I love seeing a romantic chemistry between when it comes to Lucy is Bob Hope and Henry Fonda.

You know sometimes I think it's maybe because of Desi and Lucy's love I'm bitter towards Gary. I'm sure part of it is, I have a deep love for Desi and Lucy together. I think partly because of my parents rough marriage, it was cool to watch two people I adore most seem so in love on television. Lucy and Ricky were kind of like an escape in a way, I wanted to be Lucy. (Who doesn't here?!) But they were meant together. In my life I was taught to be with the one you love most, but it shows in this situation love isn't enough sometimes. I'm just glad they continued to love each other and everyone close knew it. C'mon when Lucy died Gary even said "They're together now". :lucydesi:

I never understood why he didn't leave it to the kids or the Lucy-Desi Museum, they did open it 3 years prior to his death. He made one huge boo boo with that. When I saw that auction I was pissed, even if I had all the money in the world I wouldn't have participated in that auction out of all respect for Lucy. She would not have approved of her things being auctioned off by a woman she didn't even know.

But I must say out of all the flaws of Gary I know, hell we all know for certain, he made her laugh and held her hand. A marriage she wanted was exactly that. She just should have kept him out of the behind the scenes/family business.

Desi was a genius when it came to a television production, one of the greatest in history. But just because her first husband was that, didn't mean Gary had it too. I wish she would have realized that.

One more thing, when I see Gary and Lucy acting together I don't see chemistry. Which is odd for a husband and wife. But what do you expect after seeing a chemistry between Desi and Lucy? Only other people I love seeing a romantic chemistry between when it comes to Lucy is Bob Hope and Henry Fonda.

You know sometimes I think it's maybe because of Desi and Lucy's love I'm bitter towards Gary. I'm sure part of it is, I have a deep love for Desi and Lucy together. I think partly because of my parents rough marriage, it was cool to watch two people I adore most seem so in love on television. Lucy and Ricky were kind of like an escape in a way, I wanted to be Lucy. (Who doesn't here?!) But they were meant together. In my life I was taught to be with the one you love most, but it shows in this situation love isn't enough sometimes. I'm just glad they continued to love each other and everyone close knew it. C'mon when Lucy died Gary even said "They're together now". :lucydesi:

While Desi referred to gary as Barry Norton, gary called Desi his husband in law, LOL!

Darling Annaleigh - this post is a perfect example of why I sometimes will just +1 a post - it's so well written I felt I didn't need to add anything to it or comment further, hence why I gave your "reputation" an extra point! Take it as a compliment! Cheers, Miki xx

Well, he did volunteer to sign a pre nup, and he did not get most of her estate, it went to her kids, he got the Palm Springs house of course and she always said he had his own money, of course it was her who had paid him that money while he was learning the ropes and then ruining the end of her career, he would get cuts of whatever she was involved in, so that was lots of moolah. Lucie said she had contact with him after her mom died, as he was the grandkids only living grandfather BUT, why the hell did she not take those awards and things of her mom's? Lucy gave to charity her whole life, so her main concern was to leave everything to her kids, even her attorney conformed that. She had started all these trust funds for them. If i recall, gary was surprised the house on Roxbury did not go to him, she had it sold to get the money to her kids, disgusting how he lived there for years until they could sell the damned thing.

Wonder if ANY went to her living 'blood' relatives; i.e. Freddie, Cleo - then, of course, Frank and Wanda, for their MANY YEARS of loving and dedicated service to her, etc. I know she was VERY loyal to friends, as well; wonder how they fared...

I remember when she died, the 'local' living blood, several times removed, had to 'sign off' - I don't think it was gossip; but, can't be sure; but, I've heard at least two, one Ball, and one Hunt, who I went to school with, who were heard to say it. I think it's also ENTIRELY possible that 'shady' accountants got some, as well. I wonder how much of a REAL 'MONEY' person Lucille was; she said several times in interviews she didn't recognize it.

It just galls me Suzie got anything....

Thanks, though, Claude, for telling some of the things I've never known about. I appreciate it.

Wonder if ANY went to her living 'blood' relatives; i.e. Freddie, Cleo - then, of course, Frank and Wanda, for their MANY YEARS of loving and dedicated service to her, etc. I know she was VERY loyal to friends, as well; wonder how they fared...

I remember when she died, the 'local' living blood, several times removed, had to 'sign off' - I don't think it was gossip; but, can't be sure; but, I've heard at least two, one Ball, and one Hunt, who I went to school with, who were heard to say it. I think it's also ENTIRELY possible that 'shady' accountants got some, as well. I wonder how much of a REAL 'MONEY' person Lucille was; she said several times in interviews she didn't recognize it.

It just galls me Suzie got anything....

Thanks, though, Claude, for telling some of the things I've never known about. I appreciate it.

Well, only went by what i read. And heard. The thing with me was i thought the secrecy of the whole thing, as if to conceal some of the heirs, if you catch my drift. A third child who could contest the will perhaps. Anyway that brings me to a favorite story . . . there was this rich kid whose dad died, i forget his name, but it was decades ago, it made all the papers that he went through his dad's money in no time and wound up broke, used to wear clothes one time and then throw them out, drugs and booze and the like . . . anyway, Lucy commented on it in an interview, she said that if she left 40 cents when she passed on, her kids would get ten cents a year for four years, she was so adamant that the money she worked so hard to ammass would not be wasted but just protect and enhance her kids' lives. :wub::wub::wub:

Wow.. this is interesting... I wonder why that "Suzie" didn't offer the items to the Arnaz children in the first place.. unless she is just a money hungry @#$%... Of course Gary may have told her not too.. who knows.. we only know what we see on tv and what we read and some of that could be sanitized.. so we all don't really like Gary.. I don't have a BIG problem with him.. I just don't care for him .. after seeing one of his warm up stunts on a Here's Lucy and comparing it to one of Desi's in the I Love Lucy Movie.. well.. Gary is like flat store brand soda.. not even name brand.. I can't believe he had a career at all.. AND why would Paula Steward introduce Lucy to this kinda guy??? Unless.. at Lucy's stage in career and life.. maybe she needed a guy who wouldn't over power her.. remember.. Desi didn't particuarlly like being Mister Ball.. and I don't think Gary minded.. Anyway.. I want to read that book by Howard Rafaiel (is that how u spell it?) "Where the Hell is Desilu?".. that book may answer some of my questions...

Do any of you ever see Lucy acting by route as Kathleen Brady says she does??? I haven't noticed rote acting yet.. unless I am just soo jarred by some Here's Lucy episodes that I don't notice it.. just curious if anyone every noticed the "rote" acting

Do any of you ever see Lucy acting by route as Kathleen Brady says she does??? I haven't noticed rote acting yet.. unless I am just soo jarred by some Here's Lucy episodes that I don't notice it.. just curious if anyone every noticed the "rote" acting

I don't think Miss Ball ever phoned in a performance. She was too invested in doing a good job, cared too much about her work and always gave, IMHO, 150%! lucyhorror.JPG

Wow.. this is interesting... I wonder why that "Suzie" didn't offer the items to the Arnaz children in the first place.. unless she is just a money hungry @#$%... Of course Gary may have told her not too.. who knows.. we only know what we see on tv and what we read and some of that could be sanitized.. so we all don't really like Gary.. I don't have a BIG problem with him.. I just don't care for him .. after seeing one of his warm up stunts on a Here's Lucy and comparing it to one of Desi's in the I Love Lucy Movie.. well.. Gary is like flat store brand soda.. not even name brand.. I can't believe he had a career at all.. AND why would Paula Steward introduce Lucy to this kinda guy??? Unless.. at Lucy's stage in career and life.. maybe she needed a guy who wouldn't over power her.. remember.. Desi didn't particuarlly like being Mister Ball.. and I don't think Gary minded.. Anyway.. I want to read that book by Howard Rafaiel (is that how u spell it?) "Where the Hell is Desilu?".. that book may answer some of my questions...

Joey just answered for me, Lucy would N E V E R phone it in, that's just Kathleen's opinion, her book is quite good by the way. Paula STEWART inroduced gary to Lucy because she knew Lucy could not be alone for the rest of her life, but even that story i find sketchy, at best. When Desi talked divorce with Lucy, he caught her with a NY guy and he had his name and address and i think it was gary and way before the Paula introduced them story ever surfaced. And Howard Rafayel's great Lucy book, although their part is only a portion of his book, has loads of stories about gary, he worked with them and knew the score. He tells a great story of the warming up the audience BIT. He said gary would tell these same corny jokes all the time and it was bad, really bad. BUT, one night, he told stories on family and friends instead of his corny jokes and brough the house down. So they convinced him to do it that way from then on, but the next time he did it, he went back to the corny jokes. You can't teach an old HAM new tricks. :marionstrong:

Darling Annaleigh - this post is a perfect example of why I sometimes will just +1 a post - it's so well written I felt I didn't need to add anything to it or comment further, hence why I gave your "reputation" an extra point! Take it as a compliment! Cheers, Miki xx

Thank you Miki! I appreciate it! :peachonthebeach: I never thought anyone actually likes my posts but thanks to you it reminds me of why I am here! To be among fellow Lucy admirers!

Thanks! It wasn't as big as an impact as when you left us!

Mine had no impact either, only a few people contacted me to come back. And i would have come back on my Birthday thread, but i never got one whereas some people who never post get one anyway, LOL! I missed the place and you guys more than you could have ever missed my long rambling repeat posts. I got bored, posted mean ones, some people got offended, i apologized to all involved and asked Brock for his permission in coming back. I think it would make a great Lifetime movie actually. LOL!

I don't think Miss Ball ever phoned in a performance. She was too invested in doing a good job, cared too much about her work and always gave, IMHO, 150%! lucyhorror.JPG

I agree with you completely, Joey. I don't know where that writer gets that idea, Lucy's biggest issue with guest stars were those like Burton who came in and did not take the work seriously, just some sort of trivial lark that they couldn't be bothered to give it their all and be professional. She certainly never remotely came across as disinterested or phoning in a performance, she was always serious about her work.

Mine had no impact either, only a few people contacted me to come back. And i would have come back on my Birthday thread, but i never got one whereas some people who never post get one anyway, LOL! I missed the place and you guys more than you could have ever missed my long rambling repeat posts. I got bored, posted mean ones, some people got offended, i apologized to all involved and asked Brock for his permission in coming back. I think it would make a great Lifetime movie actually. LOL!

Goodness knows it would be one of the better Lifetime movies :lucyhehe:

Well, I was one of those "few" people and I'm glad you did come back. Re the birthday thing, perhaps if it happened during the period you have closed your membership it wouldn't still be in the system. I'm glad you mentioned this though because I've been wanting to apologize to one and all whose birthday threads I did miss, I almost never click down in "Coffee Klatch" for some reason so I miss a lot of them, when I do see them I mean to get back to them and often get distracted with this or that and the day has passed. I eventually decided to stop posting on them because I didn't want it to look like I had been snubbing the ones I missed because that is absolutely not the case. I actually took my own birthday out of my profile because I don't feel I warrant a HB thread when I've missed posting my good wishes on so many of them. So here's my Happy birthday wishes to all November babies and belated happy wishes to ones I've missed in the past :ill::professor: !!

Well, only went by what i read. And heard. The thing with me was i thought the secrecy of the whole thing, as if to conceal some of the heirs, if you catch my drift. A third child who could contest the will perhaps. Anyway that brings me to a favorite story . . . there was this rich kid whose dad died, i forget his name, but it was decades ago, it made all the papers that he went through his dad's money in no time and wound up broke, used to wear clothes one time and then throw them out, drugs and booze and the like . . . anyway, Lucy commented on it in an interview, she said that if she left 40 cents when she passed on, her kids would get ten cents a year for four years, she was so adamant that the money she worked so hard to ammass would not be wasted but just protect and enhance her kids' lives. :wub::wub::wub:

This story just brings so much more to Lucy's love for her kids and how she wanted them to succeed. Amazing mom. :D

The quote was that this woman said she never SAW HER PLAYING WITH HER KIDS. Lucy hugged her kids all the time, she was a touchy feely type of person.

Now you know, in the documentary someone else was also quoted as saying, "She didn't know how to nurture," or some such BS. :MrsRichardCarlson:

Alright.. I don't like the caption "Let the Laughs Begin".. on the menu of the I Love Lucy dvd set... I also don't like the fact that most of my I Love Lucy collection on dvd.. fails to play properly.. or skips or doesn't play at all.. and when you look at the discs.. rarely do you see scratches or damage.. I don't know.. maybe my dvd player is acting up... Just curious that my video tapes are still great.. but my dvds are the ones acting up.. the only video tape lucy related that I wore out.. was Mame recorded off of broadcast tv... what is the deal with the dvds?? AND now I guess I will have to go and get the other ones that are out... even tho I think the box art is ridiculous..

Archived